This intensified during the Hundred Years War, when, starting in 1339, the island was occupied by the Capetians on several occasions.In 1372, the island was invaded by Aragonese mercenaries under the command of Owain Lawgoch (remembered as Yvon de Galles), who was in the pay of the French king.Owain and his dark-haired mercenaries were later absorbed into Guernsey legend as invading fairies from across the sea.As part of the peace between England and France, Pope Sixtus IV issued in 1483 a Papal bull granting the Privilege of Neutrality, by which the Islands, their harbours and seas, as far as the eye can see, were considered neutral territory. Not that the French behaved, as they attempted to invade Jersey a year later in 1549 but were defeated by the militia.The entire jurisdiction lies within the Common Travel Area of the British Isles and is not a member of the European Union, but has a special relationship with it, being treated as part of the European Community with access to the single market for the purposes of free trade in goods.Taken together with the separate jurisdictions of Alderney and Sark it forms the Bailiwick of Guernsey.
Some children were never reunited with their families.Of these, about 1,000 served in the Royal Guernsey Light Infantry regiment formed from the Royal Guernsey Militia in 1916.For most of the Second World War, the Channel Islands were occupied by German troops.It lies roughly north of St Malo and to the west of the Cotentin Peninsula.
With several smaller nearby islands, it forms a jurisdiction within the Bailiwick of Guernsey, a Crown dependency.
The occupying German forces deported over 1,000 Guernsey residents to camps in southern Germany, notably to the Lager Lindele (Lindele Camp) near Biberach an der Riß and to Laufen.