The area was originally inhabited by the Timucua people, and in 1564 was the site of the French colony of Fort Caroline, one of the earliest European settlements in what is now the continental United States.Under British rule, settlement grew at the narrow point in the river where cattle crossed, known as Wacca Pilatka to the Seminole and the Cow Ford to the British.They soon named the town Jacksonville, after Andrew Jackson. Hart, residents wrote a charter for a town government, which was approved by the Florida Legislative Council on February 9, 1832.During the American Civil War, Jacksonville was a key supply point for hogs and cattle being shipped from Florida to feed the Confederate forces.The location of Fort Caroline is subject to debate but a reconstruction of the fort was established on the St. Spain ceded Florida to the British in 1763 after the French and Indian War, and the British soon constructed the King's Road connecting St. The British introduced the cultivation of sugar cane, indigo and fruits, as well the export of lumber.
In the 16th century, the beginning of the historical era, the region was inhabited by the Mocama, a coastal subgroup of the Timucua people.With an estimated population of 913,010 as of 2017, Jacksonville is also the most populous city in the southeastern United States. Johns River in the First Coast region of northeast Florida, about 25 miles (40 km) south of the Georgia state line and 340 miles (550 km) north of Miami.The Jacksonville Beaches communities are along the adjacent Atlantic coast.At the time of contact with Europeans, all Mocama villages in present-day Jacksonville were part of the powerful chiefdom known as the Saturiwa, centered around the mouth of the St. French Huguenot explorer Jean Ribault charted the St.
Johns River in 1562, calling it the River of May because that was the month of his discovery.
Ribault erected a stone column at the site, claiming the newly discovered land for France.